I've been reading non-fiction books for quite a while now and haven't read a fiction book for years save the Harry Potter series and Dan Brown books. Aside from those two authors, I haven't touched any other fiction book.
Well what is the lure of fiction vs that of non-fiction and what are the advantages of both? Well, I read non-fiction books mostly because it is a more realistic depiction of whatever is happening and lets you learn more about certain topics that you are interested in. Given fiction books can do the same but more in a less focused way. A lot of things here and there that I picked up have been through playing games and of course through reading. I did, once upon a time, read fiction when I was younger but as I grew older I stopped reading so much and didn't quite know what genres of books I would've liked and never bothered finding out. That was probably how my fiction reading died out. Now, I've grown to like non-fiction which are easy to read and lighthearted. The best non-fiction to read is those of a narrative form rather than hard facts like textbooks which get really dry.
Still I think I do understand the lure of fiction. Fiction is able to highlight certain more philosophical points better than non-fiction books since the author is able to concoct and twist the story to his liking to emphasise on certain aspects whereas some topics may be less provicative and harder to bring out in non-fiction books. Yet I still find myself unable to pick up fiction book. Even as I find non-fiction more enjoyable, reading fiction books is very VERY useful to say the least. It gives you added depth and knowledge and literature will probably be a very useful tool in the future. More and more I find that humanities is becoming as important as science. The arts, for all its criticism, is playing an increasing role as we become a more developed nation.
So is fact stranger than fiction?
Well what is the lure of fiction vs that of non-fiction and what are the advantages of both? Well, I read non-fiction books mostly because it is a more realistic depiction of whatever is happening and lets you learn more about certain topics that you are interested in. Given fiction books can do the same but more in a less focused way. A lot of things here and there that I picked up have been through playing games and of course through reading. I did, once upon a time, read fiction when I was younger but as I grew older I stopped reading so much and didn't quite know what genres of books I would've liked and never bothered finding out. That was probably how my fiction reading died out. Now, I've grown to like non-fiction which are easy to read and lighthearted. The best non-fiction to read is those of a narrative form rather than hard facts like textbooks which get really dry.
Still I think I do understand the lure of fiction. Fiction is able to highlight certain more philosophical points better than non-fiction books since the author is able to concoct and twist the story to his liking to emphasise on certain aspects whereas some topics may be less provicative and harder to bring out in non-fiction books. Yet I still find myself unable to pick up fiction book. Even as I find non-fiction more enjoyable, reading fiction books is very VERY useful to say the least. It gives you added depth and knowledge and literature will probably be a very useful tool in the future. More and more I find that humanities is becoming as important as science. The arts, for all its criticism, is playing an increasing role as we become a more developed nation.
So is fact stranger than fiction?