Jeremy's birthday turned out better than I thought. Honestly I don't know how I persuaded myself to go there in the first place but I more or less knew why. Spending time in Orchard on a Saturday evening with my colleague hunting for something to give isn't the best way to spend a carefree Saturday evening but when we finally bought all the things that we needed, we easily found his condomium. Finding the BBQ pit proved to be a harder task. As we pulled up behind the BBQ pit, there was this awkward moment where we seemed to be outcasts. Realising we had to do something before we were completely out of place, we hurried to set up what was left of a failed BBQ pit. And so we hustled and bustled and tried to look pro before his mum came and started pouring lighter fuel and commenting on the hopelessness of the guys at the pit (to my defence I was only there minutes before she arrived). To my amusement she thought I looked the most pro at firestarting and maybe because I could understand her ramblings in cantonese and managed a sentence in reply.
And well, we finally managed to get something burning when the self-lighting charcoal came in. It's a very ingenious design of charcoal I must say. And that was when conversations started going along. I said a simple "hi" to the guy next to me and with GSJ and his many many comments, things started flowing and soon we were talking to all the random people there were there (i.e. all those who weren't from his church group). It was then when I realised a lot of his friends appear quite similar to him at the first glance.
It was also that night that I found out that so many people (or at least those that he knew) were going overseas to further their studies! Not only that, on that night, there were 3 who were going to take law and 1 who knows so much about it that you would honestly think he was taking it. So there I was trying to understand what was being said (law isn't something I know a lot about) but it was enjoyable, especially after we went up to his house. This one person, in particular, was easy to connect with and talk to, possibly due to him being a man utd fan as well. He actually took a video of Ronaldo taking a penalty! Reaffirms my resolution to go to Old Traffod at least once in my lifetime! So we talked about all sorts of more professional things at his balcony with a breathtaking view. It was in Jeremy's room later on that the gossip started going around. Singapore is really only so big and somehow you will have a mutual friend here and there. By the time we left it was 2am in the morning, exceeding all our expectations of leaving his house. I would say that at the end of it all, I was tired but satisfied.
So try something you wouldn't normally do, you never know what good may come out of it.
And well, we finally managed to get something burning when the self-lighting charcoal came in. It's a very ingenious design of charcoal I must say. And that was when conversations started going along. I said a simple "hi" to the guy next to me and with GSJ and his many many comments, things started flowing and soon we were talking to all the random people there were there (i.e. all those who weren't from his church group). It was then when I realised a lot of his friends appear quite similar to him at the first glance.
It was also that night that I found out that so many people (or at least those that he knew) were going overseas to further their studies! Not only that, on that night, there were 3 who were going to take law and 1 who knows so much about it that you would honestly think he was taking it. So there I was trying to understand what was being said (law isn't something I know a lot about) but it was enjoyable, especially after we went up to his house. This one person, in particular, was easy to connect with and talk to, possibly due to him being a man utd fan as well. He actually took a video of Ronaldo taking a penalty! Reaffirms my resolution to go to Old Traffod at least once in my lifetime! So we talked about all sorts of more professional things at his balcony with a breathtaking view. It was in Jeremy's room later on that the gossip started going around. Singapore is really only so big and somehow you will have a mutual friend here and there. By the time we left it was 2am in the morning, exceeding all our expectations of leaving his house. I would say that at the end of it all, I was tired but satisfied.
So try something you wouldn't normally do, you never know what good may come out of it.