Week 13

Week 13 is drawing a close. School isn't that bad after all despite all the apprehension about adjusting back to school after so long. It's not the same as what school used to be like and I guess knowing what you want helps. Being around nice people is pretty much just as important. I realise that there are many people who all want different things out of their university lives but everything just adds to the diversity. Someone was remarking how I lucky I was to know what I want to do and to be able to work towards it and well, perhaps that is somewhat my good fortune. Sometimes whether the 2 years in NS was a boon or a bane is debatable since it does give you an additional buffer of 2 years to figure out what you want. In some sense that is true since I know much more than I did when I just graduated from JC and at that age, you're still in the kiddish stage (to some extent) so you don't really think -that- far into the future. Once again I'm glad to have spent my 2 years with people who enjoyed reading and some sort of intellectual discussions every now and then.

I also realised I love making nice Powerpoint slides. I think it's great feeling to able to find very apt pictures to tell a story and just make the whole presentation pleasing to the eye. Projects are finally over at last! I felt this sense of happiness on Thursday after I finished my last presentation, partially because I felt it went really well and we received some sort of a compliment. And also well, perhaps because I did surprisingly well for some assignment which was a confidence booster. As much as school can be immensely tiring at times, it's been pretty fun considering all the classes and the people you meet. Even with all the ups and downs especially with projects somehow things went pretty alright in the end. Sometimes I really felt really free, perhaps due to the fact that I'm pretty lazy to go out at times. Weekends are actually a horrible time to go out! Everywhere's so crowded! And well, doing things early really really helps a lot! I shall make it a point to be prompt in my work. I see other groups still doing their reports and I just feel free knowing that my reports are all done and ready for submission.

Turning back to the financial crisis, there's a lot of uncertainty going on now. We're probably about to see a whole range of fiscal announcements (after China's massive 581bn announcement) which will probably provide a short term boost but the US is on its socialist march again in saving GM. I understand the argument that letting GM fail now will probably be suicide and that it could be less costly bailing out GM but where's the logic in bailing out an unprofitable company. I was talking to my prof who remarked that the idea of capitalism has been severly clouded. Where does it stop? I was running this thought exercise through - What if one day wal-mart collapses suddenly for some reason? Are they going to be bailed out too? Can they afford to be bailed out? or not for that matter?

0 Response to "Week 13"