Another semester draws to a close

And so I've finished my second last semester of my undergrad life and my one week break starts now having suffered in school for an additional week studying for CFA Level 1, which, fingers crossed will pass. Gonna get my room packed tomorrow - barely have space for myself now.

Otherwise, I found out today that an ex-colleague has left to another hedge fund and it increasingly continues to appeal to me. I suppose this is the more orthodox path to take - working on the sell side research first and getting a handle on the basics and grunt work before taking it up a notch. Just need to make sure I keep that in mind and not lose myself in the endless mash of work. It's funny how things change so quickly. 12 months ago the job market was looking pretty decent with banks continuing to recruit but 12 months later, it seems as if shit has hit the fan. I have no idea if any department other than wealth management is even interviewing. I still remember the COO at my previous internship asking why I would take a semester off to intern when I could graduate earlier and start working earlier. She warned that things could change very quickly and slow down. On hindsight, she was 20/20.

It's tough to go back to school after a year's absence and pick up where you left off with the same amount of effort and drive, given the circumstances. I guess I'm more or less done with undergrad save for one last semester to maintain. Been very lucky the past 3.5 years with great friends, getting awesome internships one way or another, proving myself academically and getting a job. Clinically or not, I've always sort of seen university as a stepping stone to a career, which I'm sure not everyone agrees with, but given that mindset, it's turned out very well. And I've been lucky in the sense that I knew roughly what I wanted to do early on and as they say, luck is when opportunity meets preparation. I cannot overemphasize how many lucky breaks I've had and thankfully I've managed to take them.

Gonna get some reading done over the holidays. Need to get my room in order and start lazing around and recharging :)

0 Response to "Another semester draws to a close"